Ecosublime : environmental awe and terror from new world to oddworld / Lee Rozelle.Material type: TextPublication details: Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press, c2006.Description: viii, 134 p. ; 24 cmISBN:
- 081731492X (alk. paper)
- American literature -- History and criticism
- Nature in literature
- Environmental literature -- United States -- History and criticism
- Conservation of natural resources in literature
- Environmental protection in literature
- Philosophy of nature in literature
- Wilderness areas in literature
- Ecology in literature
- 810.9/36 22
- PS163 .R69 2006
|Item type||Current library||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|General Books||CUTN Central Library Generalia||810.9/36 (Browse shelf(Opens below))||1||Available||2663|
Includes bibliographical references (p. -128) and index.
1. Oceanic terrain : The journal of Julius Rodman and A lady's life in the Rocky Mountains -- 2. "I kin turn you ter a tree" : hybrid identities in The conjure woman and "Life in the iron-mills" -- 3. Ecocritical city : modernist reactions to urban environments in Eliot, Miss Lonelyhearts, and Paterson -- 4. Biocentric assimilation : Salem cigarettes, Field notes, and A timbered choir -- 5. The ozone hole the imagination seeks to fill : theory, exhibition, and White Noise -- 6. Decentralized visions : The green reader, Bearheart, and Parable of the sower -- 7. Sabotage and eco-terror : Edward Abbey, the unabomber manifesto, and Earth first! -- Epilogue : from the sublime to the (eco)absurd : the millennial activist in pop nature.
"Focusing on a variety of literary works and cultural artifacts, Ecosublime explores 19th-century, modern, postmodern, and millennial texts as they portray the changing ecological face of America." "In each instance, Rozelle finds evidence that the ecosublime - nature experienced as an instance of wonder and fear - profoundly reflects spiritual and political responses to the natural world, America's increasingly anti-ecological trajectory, and the ascendance of a post-natural landscape."--BOOK JACKET.